Hang not responding on Vista

Phil Fernandez 08/27/2007 09:20 pm
I just downloaded Mass Downloader 3.3 SR1 to my new Vista-64 system. I have been using earlier release on XP just fine.

It installed correctly, and browser integration is OK. I have set the options on MD to wait for me to start downloads, rather than auto start them.

I am experiencing repeated "hangs" with my download attempts. When the hang happens, Mass Downloader goes "not responding" to windows, and it is spinning using 100% of a processor (according to Task Manager). I have waited 3-5 minutes, but it does not seem to recover. I have to close it as a not responding program.

Sometimes it works OK -- often on the first download after restarting the program. But most of the time it does this hang/spin. I have seen the hang/spin happen in two situations -- right when a download is started (download map shows one red block -- a few bytes downloaded), or when a download is finished but before the status of the job is changed from in progress to completed.

I'm happy to do any work with you to reporduce / gather data.

pmf
Alexander 08/28/2007 08:09 am
Phil Fernandez,

Thank you for writing us.
What is the file system of disk to that you save downloaded files? If this is FAT32, could you please try to save files to another disk with NTFS file system (if any)?
Please write me about the result. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
Alexander 09/19/2007 09:50 am
Phil Fernandez,

Could you please test the updated version of Mass Downloader at your system?
You can download it from: http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/mdsetup.exe
Please write us about the result. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Alexander
Hugh 11/03/2007 03:59 pm
> Phil Fernandez,
>
> Could you please test the updated version of Mass Downloader at your system?
> You can download it from: http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/mdsetup.exe
> Please write us about the result. Thank you.
>
> Sincerely,
> Alexander

Hi Alexander,
I am having the same issues with the build in your link (Digital signature 1st November). Mass Downloader is completely unusable on my Vista Ultimate 64-Bit system. I look forward to a fix for this issue. Thank you.
Regards, Hugh
Jason Cunniffe 11/14/2007 03:27 pm
hi all

Just to let you know that V3.3.0.681 works fine with Vista 32bit but the newer version does not.

Jason
Alexander 11/14/2007 03:56 pm
Jason Cunniffe,

Thank you for writing us.
Could you please describe the problem in detail?

Thanks,
Alexander
Richard Wardley 02/04/2008 05:29 am
Hi Alexander, I too am having problems with Mass Downloader 3.3.698 SR2 with Vista 32bit. I am using an NTFS file system btw.

Mass Downloader is very unresponsive and often reports 'not responding' when trying to do anything in its GUI while it is downloading. However, it does work, and does continue downloading, its just very unresponsive.

The previous version prior to SP2, 3.3 SP1 ???? was considerably better. I dont know what else to tell you, it doesnt create high CPU usage, and the PC is generally responsive in any other applications which are running.

Rich

> Jason Cunniffe,
>
> Thank you for writing us.
> Could you please describe the problem in detail?
>
> Thanks,
> Alexander