Removing integration with IE7 / uninstalling with IE7

Kevin 02/25/2007 08:13 am
After uninstalling Mass Downloader and restarting Windows, I cannot view links that would previously have triggered MD - the Internet Explorer window simply closes. Uninstalling and reinstalling IE7 does not fix this. The links can be viewed under IE6.

The following message appears at the end of uninstall (using MD Uninstall or Add/Remove Programs): "System doesn’t allow to remove Mass Downloader plugin for Internet Explorer. Please restart Windows in order to the changes to take effect."

While MD is installed with IE7, unchecking the box to integrate with IE, or monitoring Ctrl-Alt clicks only, also causes IE window to close when links are just clicked. Actually, if I can fix this I won't need to uninstall.

MD is the Vista compatible version downloaded Feb 2007

Any ideas?
Kevin
Alexander 02/26/2007 07:38 am
Kevin,

Thank you for writing us.
Could you please open the c:\Program Files\ folder in Windows Explorer? Is the Mass Downloader subfolder there? What are content of this folder, if exists?
Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
Kevin 02/26/2007 04:39 pm
Alexander,

The Mass Downloader subfolder exists in c:\Program Files but is empty.

I am happy to re-install if necessary. I am currently running Internet Explorer 6, so could try installing MD then IE7, rather than IE7 then MD (which gave rise to the problem).

Thanks for your assistance,
Kevin
Alexander 02/27/2007 09:47 am
Kevin,

Yes, please install Mass Downloader and then IE7 and test your downloads. Please write me about the result. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Alexander
Kevin 02/27/2007 07:41 pm
Alexander,

Mass Downloader re-installed. The default browser integration settings had both 'Retrieve file info from server' and 'Open cancelled links in browser' checked. I followed the instructions in Help and unchecked the first so that second would apply. I also checked 'Monitor clicks with Ctrl+Alt only'. IE6 now worked as expected - without the first change, cancelling the download in MD did not trigger IE6 to retrieve the pdf file (although the IE6 window did not close in this case).

I then installed Internet Explorer 7 and restarted the pc. The Ctrl+Alt clicks option worked as expected. Clicking on pdf links without Ctrl+Alt, or cancelling the download from within MD, results in the IE7 window closing. IE7 does display a message in the status bar (too briefly to be read) suggesting that it is attempting to follow the link.

I closed down MD and repeated the test. Alt+Ctrl clicks are no longer picked up by MD (as expected) and the IE7 window closes, as it does if the link is simply clicked. Does this suggest the problem lies in changes made in IE, possibly to settings or modules shared by IE6 and IE7?

Kevin
Alexander 02/28/2007 02:55 am
Kevin,

Thank you for this comprehensive test. This is really helpful for us, because we cannot reproduce the problem at our test system (and at my own computer with IE7 installed.)
The cause seems to be in the integration library. I forward your message to the library developer, hope he will be able to find the cause and fix the problem shortly.
What is you Windows version?

Thanks,
Alexander
Kevin 02/28/2007 06:59 pm
Alexander,

I am running Windows 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : Service Pack 2). This is an XP Media/Home edition. Internet Explorer is version 7.0.5730.11.

Thank you for following this up,
Kevin
Kevin 03/01/2007 07:55 am
Alexander,

I've dug a little further and suspect the problem lies with Adobe Reader's integration with IE7, rather than Mass Downloader's. I have no problem accessing the links when AR is running (or even when it is not, provided that IE7 has used it to display a pdf file earlier).

I need more time to check this out and suggest you hold off investigating further.

Regards, Kevin
Alexander 03/02/2007 08:14 am
Kevin,

Thank you for your feedback.
Please let me know what you will find.

Thanks,
Alexander
Kevin 03/04/2007 05:00 pm
Alexander,

*The problem is with Adobe Reader, not Mass Downloader*

I ran Adobe Reader's 'Detect and Repair' facility and then updated my version of the Reader from 7 to 7.0.9 without fixing the problem. Unchecking the 'Display PDF in browser' preference cures it (although PDF files are no longer displayed in the Internet Explorer window). Integration with Mass Downloader works correctly, and cancelling the download in MD results in Adobe Reader being opened to display the file.

I could have upgraded to Adobe Reader version 8, but Adobe's technical notes suggest that both 7 and 8 can have browser integration problems (although closing the browser window isn't listed as a symptom). Life's too short!

My sincere apologies for wasting your time on this.
Many thanks for your assistance,
Kevin
Alexander 03/05/2007 03:48 am
Kevin,

Thank you for such comprehensive investigation of the problem.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any further question regarding Mass Downloader.

Thanks,
Alexander