MD doesn't like "&" and "/" filenames, has slowed down

Jorge 01/19/2007 12:40 am
I'm still on my 30 day trial and considering registering. Here's a couple of my problems:

Mass Downloader does not like filenames with the characters "&" and "/". Whenever I queue up a file that has one of these characters (say dog&cat.jpg), there are problems with the file. In the case of "&" the file completely fails to download, giving that red X character. I then go back to the site and manually download that file (just fine) using firefox. To a lesser extent the "/" character is buggy, making the file name different in the downloaded version than that on the server. All characters before the "/" are missing in the file name. For example a file named "John/'s compilation.mp3" becomes " 's compilation.mp3". Not as major of a problem, but still annoying. I think these problems could be addressed in future versions of MD :D

My other problem I'm not sure the source of, but I'll ask for the fun of it. I'm mainly using MD to download large lists of ~4mb jpgs from a server, and it worked great at first. The chart at the bottom looked like a big grey box (not much variation in speed, lots of high speed) as it went through my queues.
...However, now it looks more like random perpendicular grey bars in the chart (bursts of high speed, then no connection in between)). On the chart view, the action of the downloads are funny. They show a file download okay at top speed, and then stop at 100%, with the status saying 'Waiting...". After maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute, the file finally moves on to the next download. This has happened on several servers. I can think of several explanations, but I don't know what the true cause is. It could be the server has identified my IP as using too much bandwidth (and it took them a day to realize it or they allow a day of high usage before limiting), and decided to only allow a download per time or something. Another explanation might be that my ISP decided to do a similar thing in limiting (Comcast cable). A third explanation would be something in my hardware or software is giving trouble, and doing so randomly after a day of perfect functioning. Could this be the MD software that is doing this?
Alexander 01/19/2007 06:22 am
Jorge,

Thank you for writing us.

> Mass Downloader does not like filenames with the characters "&" and "/". Whenever I queue up
> a file that has one of these characters (say dog&cat.jpg), there are problems with the file. In the
> case of "&" the file completely fails to download, giving that red X character. I then go back to the
> site and manually download that file (just fine) using firefox. To a lesser extent the "/" character is
> buggy, making the file name different in the downloaded version than that on the server. All
> characters before the "/" are missing in the file name. For example a file named "John/'s
> compilation.mp3" becomes " 's compilation.mp3". Not as major of a problem, but still annoying.
> I think these problems could be addressed in future versions of MD :D

We will fix these problems in the next version of Mass Downloader. Please note that Windows doesn't allow some characters in file nales (for example, you cannot use the "/" character in the file name), so these characters will be changed to the allowed ones.

> My other problem I'm not sure the source of, but I'll ask for the fun of it. I'm mainly using MD to
>download large lists of ~4mb jpgs from a server, and it worked great at first. The chart at the
> bottom looked like a big grey box (not much variation in speed, lots of high speed) as it went
> through my queues.
> ...However, now it looks more like random perpendicular grey bars in the chart (bursts of high
> speed, then no connection in between)). On the chart view, the action of the downloads are funny.
> They show a file download okay at top speed, and then stop at 100%, with the status
> saying 'Waiting...". After maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute, the file finally moves on to the next
> download. This has happened on several servers. I can think of several explanations, but I don't
> know what the true cause is. It could be the server has identified my IP as using too much bandwidth
> (and it took them a day to realize it or they allow a day of high usage before limiting), and decided to
> only allow a download per time or something. Another explanation might be that my ISP decided to
> do a similar thing in limiting (Comcast cable). A third explanation would be something in my
> hardware or software is giving trouble, and doing so randomly after a day of perfect functioning.
> Could this be the MD software that is doing this?

Please try the following:
1. Open the Mass Downloader Options dialog, Connection section
2. Set the first parameter to 10, second and third to 30
3. Click the OK and test your downloads

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| MetaProducts Corporation