i think i have a bug report

heath 05/14/2005 12:10 am
Hello,
Well anyway i was downloading a file which was `Sysweeper` trial version at the top of the page at http://www.webroot.com/downloads/?WRSID=5b22414774f4fa4e5cf5a7c6ed4c7699
and in mass downloader there was a blue icon next to the download and it said this server does not support `resume from downloads` and when my file reached 99% complete it just restarted. I understand that if i paused it it would of started from the beginning because the server did not support resume` but i did not pause it and it restarted and mass downloader was running extremley slower then it usually does. Atleast 3 times slower. Maybe you should look into this. If it helps i run win 98.
Alexander 05/14/2005 03:52 am
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for writing us.
Yes, this server does not support resume. We will take a look at Mass Downloader interoperation with this server to find if we can improve it. In the meantime you may want to download this file from one of popular software archives, like www.tucows.com, www.download.com or simtel.net - all they keep copies of files at their servers and support resume.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| MetaProducts Corporation
heath sims 05/18/2005 02:21 am
> Dear Sir / Madam,
> > Thank you for writing us.
> Yes, this server does not support resume. We will take a look at Mass Downloader interoperation with this server to find if we can improve it. In the meantime you may want to download this file from one of popular software archives, like www.tucows.com, www.download.com or simtel.net - all they keep copies of files at their servers and support resume.
> > Sincerely,
> Alexander.
> | Alexander Bednyakov
> | MetaProducts Corporation

The thing is i didnt stop or pause the download and mass downloader restarted the download from the beginning when it reached 99% complete. And when it was downloading mass downloader was atleast 3 times slower then the usual speed. And it was only wih that download. Firefox`s built in download manager downloaded the file from the server fine. It didnt have problems!!!!!1
Alexander 05/18/2005 03:33 am
This depends on the server and Internet channel load. Next time Mass Downloader may download this file but FireFox will not.
When connection is broken by some reason (server drops the connection, line problems, etc.,) Mass Downloader checks if the file is downloaded. If the file is incomplete, it tries to resume this download. When server does not support resume feature, it send the file from the beginning. Mass Downloader sees this and reset the downloaded bytes counter.

Alexander