bug: error if connection lost

Roddy MacKenzie 04/13/2004 09:17 am
In MassDownloader 2.7 Beta 1, if the connection to the Internet is lost, MD reports errors trying to access memory. Closing the error box causes another to pop up, then another ... The only way to get out of this is to use Task Manager to kill the process (I used this as a last resort after closing 27 almost identical pop-ups this morning)

I am using MD under Win2000 + IE6 with the latest service packs & patches. I am also using Offline Explorer Enterprise v3.1, Outpost Firewall v1 and DUN Manager v3.1.

My ISP only allows me to access the internet in blocks of 4 hours during the day and at weekends, and blocks of 2 1/2 hours on weekday evenings, so the line almost always drops in the middle of a large file. (Thankfully most of the sites I download large files from allow me to resume where MD lost its connection)

Roddy
Alexander 04/13/2004 04:10 pm
Dear Roddy MacKenzie,

Thank you for writing us.
Do you use the modem connection?
Could you please citate us the error address and other information from this error box?
Thank you for your help.

Please re-download Mass Downloader 2.7 Beta 1 from our site and install it before making other tests. Thank you!

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
Roddy MacKenzie 04/13/2004 06:01 pm
Dear Alexander,

Yes, I use the modem connection (Broadband is not available in my area except via satellite at great expense)

I have just downloaded the latest version of Mass Downloader 2.7 Beta 1, and am unable to replicate the error by hanging up the connection. (It may react differently if the connection is cut off by my ISP. I`ll try this tomorrow. If it still happens, I will log the details and post them here)

The current version of MD does not seem to be the same as the version I was using (or that`s what Outpost Firewall said when I started it)

Roddy
Roddy MacKenzie 04/14/2004 10:12 am
Dear Alexander,

More good news: the latest version of MD 2.7 beta 1 does not seem to suffer from this problem. Pulling the lead out of the modem or letting the ISP disconnect me had no adverse effects. MD kept on trying and timing out, just like OEE, and then politely gave up when it ran out of projects to try.

Roddy
Alexander 04/14/2004 01:14 pm
Dear Roddy,

Thank you for your feedback.
I am glad that your problem is fixed.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff