CRC-failure in gz files

D Nielsen 01/23/2004 03:31 am
Hi

We are experience same problems as many users in the forum, with corrupted data files after download. We used md 2.6.398 on a win2k machine -> and upgraded it to SR1.

But still the files are corrupted after download.

Let me explain, every day we download 98 gz files with a file size between 5mb to 120 mb. - And after the upgrade to 2.6.398, we have experienced that everyday 3-5 files are having crc-errors when we try to extract the data. If we then download the file again everything is fine. Or if we download the file with another program.

- Will it be fixed or alternatively can we download the previous version of MD (the one before 2.6.0.398), that version seemed (as I can recall) to work without file corruptions.

Best Regards
Alexander 01/23/2004 05:16 am
Dear D Nielsen,

Thank you for your report.
Did you try the latest Mass Downloader 2.6.447 SR1 version?
(http://www.metaproducts.com/download/mdsetup.exe)
Please write me about the result. Thank you.
If this problem still exists in this version, could you please help us to fix it?

We will need the downloading log file for such corrupted download (not very big file, if possible.)
For making the detailed log please check all settings under the Log tab in the Project properties dialog for the selected project. Start downloading. After it is done, if this error appeared, right-click in the Log view window and select "Save to file" item from the pop-up menu. Save file, pack it using WinZip or etc program and email it to support@metaproducts.com as the attachment.
Please also keep this corrupted file for the later comparison with the correct file.
Thank you.

You can find the Mass Downloader 2.5 SR3 version here:
http://www.metaproducts.com/download/mdsetup25sr3.exe

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
D Nielsen 01/23/2004 06:47 am
Dear Sirs,

The problem countinued with the newest version 447 SR1. - I`ll enable the log feature and see what it comes up with, when we download the data tomorrow.

Regards
Alexander 01/23/2004 08:19 am
Thank you!

Alexander
D Nielsen 01/27/2004 03:05 am
Ok, We tried the log, but because of the number of files (98), the file size (10-120MB) etc the program actually crashed... are there any of the log-features we can disable, so it won`t be that heavy.

Best Regards

Alexander 01/28/2004 03:51 am
Dear D Nielsen,

Thank you for your feedback.
Please download the file http://www.metaproducts.com/download/betas/log.zip and open the LOG.REG file from it. This will import the necessary Mass Downloader Registry parameter to write logs to disk. Then please run Mass Downloader, open the Options dialog, Advanced category and set the option "Set log limit to" to, say, 1,000 lines. Then please click the OK button.

Mass Downloader will write log files to the Windows TEMP folder. They will have numeric names and .LOG extension. When the problem occurs, please find the corresponding log file using Windows Quick View app or other text files viewer. Each log file contains the information about the downloading file in the beginning of the text. Please find the corresponding log file, pack it and send it to support@metaproducts.com with a short description. Please also keep the corrupted version of the downloaded file.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MP Staff
D.Nielsen 02/06/2004 06:41 am
Dear Sirs,

The status on this issue is following :

We tried with version 2.5 SR3, but experienced the same behaviour. So afterwards we upgraded the software to 2.6 SR1, and enabled to log.

Today we experienced crc-error on one file the log from download of the file are now sent to support@metaproducts.com. - Btw, as for many other crc-corrupted files, the file was ok after 2nd. download.

Looking forward hearing from you.

Alexander 02/09/2004 07:38 am
Dear D.Nielsen,

Thank you for your help.
I am out of town now. I will contact you after my return February 15.

Thanks,
Alexander
Alexander 02/17/2004 03:34 am
Dear D.Nielsen,

I sent you a message today. Did you receive it?

Thanks,
Alexander