MD works a huge amount of time afer a large download + 1second hangs

Florin 03/29/2006 07:02 am
i have downloaded <30 Mb files with no problem, but when i try big >100Mb files, after the download is complete MD freezes every task in my computer (eve if i manually set the process priority to idle, and all the threads to idle as well), and starts writing on the hdd for about 15-20 minutes. That seams alot for a 100mb file, even if it was to make another copy then to delet the .mass file. Also, during the download, after 10-15 downloads, i get ocasional 1second or less hangs (best seen with winamp, just freezes), no meter what task priorities are set. [makes it impossible to write a cd during a download]

mass downloader version 2.5.340 SR3
internet bandwith ~ 4mbit (100mbit shared among 25 users)
computer : amdK6 233 / 128Mb Ram , 512 Mb swap file, Hdd 20Gb
browser : Opera 6.05
normal download mode : 5 threads

so, questions :
-is this normal (would improve if i upghrade my cpu) or is a `glitch in the system` ?
-if i use 1 thread for large files. will it have to be reassambled again after download

-if i remove the .mass extension in an incomplete download, can i see/listen to the downloaded part (ie - stores raw data or a proprietary format) ?

thank you
Alexander 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Dear Florin,

Thank you for writing us.
The described problem seems to be high-speed connection related. We will test this situation and fix a problem, thanks.
As a temporary workaround please use one thread for these big files. This should solve the problem.

Please try to open incomplete files without removing .MASS extension (for example, using File | Open menu item in your player software.) if it is impossible, remove .mass extension, but please add it again before download resuming.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer
| MetaProducts Corporation

> i have downloaded <30 Mb files with no problem, but when i try big >100Mb files, after the download is complete MD freezes every task in my computer (eve if i manually set the process priority to idle, and all the threads to idle as well), and starts writing on the hdd for about 15-20 minutes. That seams alot for a 100mb file, even if it was to make another copy then to delet the .mass file. Also, during the download, after 10-15 downloads, i get ocasional 1second or less hangs (best seen with winamp, just freezes), no meter what task priorities are set. [makes it impossible to write a cd during a download]
>
>
>
> mass downloader version 2.5.340 SR3
> internet bandwith ~ 4mbit (100mbit shared among 25 users)
> computer : amdK6 233 / 128Mb Ram , 512 Mb swap file, Hdd 20Gb
> browser : Opera 6.05
> normal download mode : 5 threads
>
> so, questions :
> -is this normal (would improve if i upghrade my cpu) or is a `glitch in the system` ?
> -if i use 1 thread for large files. will it have to be reassambled again after download
>
> -if i remove the .mass extension in an incomplete download, can i see/listen to the downloaded part (ie - stores raw data or a proprietary format) ?
>
> thank you