Microsoft ISA Server support

Erdogan Kurtur 03/29/2006 07:02 am
hello there,

my company uses microsoft isa server as a firewall/proxy and it uses our nt domain ids to login. internet explorer transparently authenticates and works fine, but many download programs like flashget can not. they only support basic authentication proxies.

does md support isa?
Alexander 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Dear Erdogan Kurtur,

Thank you for writing us.

Please open Mass Downloader Options dialog, Proxy | HTTP section. Please select "HTTP Proxy" type. Clear all other fields or keep them blank. Please check the "Use NTLM authentication" box and click OK button.

Then please try your downloads and write us about the result. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer
| MetaProducts Corporation

Erdogan Kurtur 03/29/2006 07:02 am
it does not work. because ISA server has been adjusted to use ntlm as authentication scheme. since i am not in domain which ISA server belongs, i cannot login.

as i read in the msdn, ISA server uses a unique way to authenticate. it takes 2+ steps to complete. every request has to complete all steps before getting result. as far as i know only IE and some few download accelerators support this type of authentication.

your applications try to authenticate using credentials of user who currently logged in. but it must also try the user name/password combination using challange/responce mechanism to authenticate. and then the problem will be eliminated.

for more information you may use the proxomitron ( a http filter application ) to see communication between a proxy server and an IE client which tries to authenticate ntlm first and then c/r.

thanks for your interest
Alexander 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Dear Erdogan Kurtur,

Thank you for your feedback.
Does Internet Explorer work well at your computer?
The settings I advised above make Download Express using Internet Explorer`s system to connect Internet.

Thanks,
Alexander
Oleg Chernavin 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Can you please make a search for the word ISA (using the search field below)? This will give you a number of successfull user opinions on how to setup MetaProducts software to download files and sites via ISA server.

All our Internet software use the same downloading code, so advises for Offline Explorer Pro will work for Mass Downloader and Download Express as well.

Best regards,
Oleg Chernavin
MP Staff