Muliuser environment bug

cRoMo 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Hello. I am using Windows 2000 and have got several user accounts on my system. All the users are using Mass Downloader. If I am logging into my account after other user`s logout, my Mass Downloader`s size and dimmensions are changed, it almost takes the whole screen area. One more thing: I can see other users downloads, even if they are already finished and my MD has got `delete sucessfully downloaded projects from the list` option turned on. I think it shouldn`t go this way.
Alexander 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Dear cRoMo,

Thank you for writing us.
Do all users use the same installation of Mass Downloader (the same disk folder for all users)?
It is the cause.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer
| MetaProducts Corporation

cRoMo 03/29/2006 07:01 am
> Do all users use the same installation of Mass Downloader (the same disk folder for all users)?
> It is the cause.
Yes, all users are using the same instalation. That means everything goes the right way? What about resized window ???
Alexander 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Mass Downloader stores its size, position and program options to Registry. Windows keeps separate copies of users registry entries, so each user can have his own program settings. History and projects files are too big to place them to the Registry, so Mass Downloader keeps them in its disk folder. Please make separate installations of Mass Downloader under different user acconts - install to the different disk folders, say, Mass Downloader/User1, .../User2, etc.
Thai must work well for you. Please write me about the result. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Alexander.
| Alexander Bednyakov
| Senior Developer
| MetaProducts Corporation
Martin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Hello Alexander,

Massdownloader is a very great tool !!
I like the cookie feature most. Is it planned to enable this feature from other browsers like Netscape, Mozilla, Opera ... too?

------

But now to my suggestion:

why don`t you save those files in the user home directory (..\winnt\profiles\<user> or ..\Documents and settings\<user>).

This is the microsoft recommend way. And linux/unix does this since decades!!. Applications must go this way to receive the designed for windows xp /windows 2000.

And let the user deceide if he wants to install the program only for him or for all users (recommand) and use the Microsoft installer format (.msi) for painless network installations if possible.

The main advantage of this approach is that you need only one installation and all users can automatically use the software whether they have admin rights on the pc or not.

And if a restricted user does something wrong or gets a virus under his account there no possibility to infect or destroy the program files and so, other user dont get infected by using the software afterwards.

So in conclusion i think (and microsoft and probably most it-professionals) this would be the better software design approach for mass downloader in the future

greets,
Martin

Sorry for my bad english ;)

> Mass Downloader stores its size, position and program options to Registry. Windows keeps separate copies of users registry entries, so each user can have his own program settings. History and projects files are too big to place them to the Registry, so Mass Downloader keeps them in its disk folder. Please make separate installations of Mass Downloader under different user acconts - install to the different disk folders, say, Mass Downloader/User1, .../User2, etc.
> Thai must work well for you. Please write me about the result. Thank you!
>
> Sincerely,
> Alexander.
> | Alexander Bednyakov
> | Senior Developer
> | MetaProducts Corporation
>