Automatic Re-Connect After ISP interuption

Author Message
Arthur Mason 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Hi,
I like to do as much downloading during the night, for obvious reasons, but ocassionally, my internet connection is cut and then the auto re-dialer re-connects the connection, but the down load then lies idle till I re,connect it. Is there an automatic re-connect facility that I can activate to aliviate this problem.
Look for ward to any help I can get and thank you. By the way I`m using Mass Downloader 2.5.
Kindest regards.
Arthur Mason
Alexander 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Dear Arthur Mason,

The redialing is possible when you are using the internal Mass Downloader dialer. Please open MD`s Options dialog, Internet | Dial Up section. Please check the "Enable Mass Downloader dialer" box and set up your connection properties. Then click OK and test your download. Mass Downloader must dial to your ISP on the downloading start. Please test its behavior on connection breaks - it must redial in several seconds.

Sincerely,
Alexander.
Adrian 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Alexander,

I have just downloaded the latest version of Mass Downloader today. I have set up the dialer as you suggested, but I get the same problem as Arthur. The Mass Downloader Dialer reconnects to the internet but the download does not continue, but remains idle until I stop & restart the download. This is a big problem for me as my ISP has an automatic cut off of 2 hours.

TIA for any help.
Adrian
BTW, I am using WinXP Pro SP1 and IE6 SP1
Alexander 03/29/2006 07:01 am
> Alexander,
>
> I have just downloaded the latest version of Mass Downloader today. I have set up the dialer as you suggested, but I get the same problem as Arthur. The Mass Downloader Dialer reconnects to the internet but the download does not continue, but remains idle until I stop & restart the download. This is a big problem for me as my ISP has an automatic cut off of 2 hours.
>
> TIA for any help.
> Adrian
> BTW, I am using WinXP Pro SP1 and IE6 SP1

Please set the Options dialog, Internet | Connection section "Pause between reconnects" parameter to 15-20 seconds. Then please click OK button and repeate your test. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Alexander.
Mike gavin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
> > Alexander,
> >
> > I have just downloaded the latest version of Mass Downloader today. I have set up the dialer as you suggested, but I get the same problem as Arthur. The Mass Downloader Dialer reconnects to the internet but the download does not continue, but remains idle until I stop & restart the download. This is a big problem for me as my ISP has an automatic cut off of 2 hours.
> >
> > TIA for any help.
> > Adrian
> > BTW, I am using WinXP Pro SP1 and IE6 SP1
>
> Please set the Options dialog, Internet | Connection section "Pause between reconnects" parameter to 15-20 seconds. Then please click OK button and repeate your test. Thank you!
>
> Sincerely,
> Alexander.

Given the date since anyone asked this question I`m hoping someone knows how to fix it. My ISP cuts you off every 2 hours, I`ve just watched mass-downloader fail to reconnect again-I never leave it unsupervised & should probably ditch if it for the express one which does exactly the same job.
It says re-dialling in the `info` & `log` views. In the `progress` view it lists each thread with `re-dialling` next to it. And thats all it does. It will just sit there all day until I press `F8`. Then it re-connects & I have to stop all the other projects loading & restart the one at the head of the queue.
Sometimes it just drops to zero speed. It will sit there doing that all day too. Connected to the internet, time elapsing but no download. I get up in the morning, pc still humming away, & its going to be lunch-time before I get to start that days project! Obviously, that doesn`t happen anymore because I sit here watching it. I`ve seen that elsewhere in the forum a long time ago too.
I`m using XP (sp1) & the mass-downloader dialler, I have an old 56K Software modem (yes I do know about broad-band but I`m in a rented flat & we`re not connected!). I`m using Zone-alarm pro but I don`t get an alarm on this. I seem to remember a previous version that could re-connect but if I`m right it was a long time ago.
I have got used to putting up with the problems with this program over a long time & many versions. I do need to download stuff, big music files to re-create violins & stuff & if there is some way of leaving the computer to get on with it I could save a lot of time. If anyone has any sugestions I`d be extremely grateful.
Mike
Alexander 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Dear Mike Gavin,

Thank you for your report.
So, you use Windows XP and the internal Mass Downloader dialer. Mass Downloader redials on hangup, but doesn`t start the download. Am I right?
Thanks,
Alexander
Mike gavin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Hi Alexander,
No-it reports that it is re-dialling in the log view underneath the download list-but it isn`t actually doing it until I press F8. Then it puts up the re-dialling box & I hear the beeping of the modem dialler.
The drop to zero download speed is a seperate issue-to resolve this you do the same-F8 to stop it (or Control+F8 if there is more than one in the list) & then F5 to re-start it.
Point being that I need to sit here & keep an eye on it. As soon as the boss goes to sleep mass-downloader sometimes stops working! It appears to lack motivation!
Thanks for taking an interest by the way-any help is really appreciated!
Mike
Alexander 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Mike,

The new Mass Downloader 3.0 version will contain the fix of this problem. We plan to release it in a week. Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Alexander

> Hi Alexander,
> No-it reports that it is re-dialling in the log view underneath the download list-but it isn`t actually doing it until I press F8. Then it puts up the re-dialling box & I hear the beeping of the modem dialler.
> The drop to zero download speed is a seperate issue-to resolve this you do the same-F8 to stop it (or Control+F8 if there is more than one in the list) & then F5 to re-start it.
> Point being that I need to sit here & keep an eye on it. As soon as the boss goes to sleep mass-downloader sometimes stops working! It appears to lack motivation!
> Thanks for taking an interest by the way-any help is really appreciated!
> Mike
Mike Gavin 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Thanks Alexander-that will be really cool because it is downloading really fast, even on my little dial-up 5-7 Ks a second most of the time.
Regards,
Mike
Alexander 03/29/2006 07:01 am
Mike,

The new version released yesterday. Could you please test it with your connection?
Please write us about the result. Thank you.

Alexander
YALU-(Yet.Anoter.Linux.User) 03/29/2006 07:01 am
I have Mass Downloader 2.6 SP1 on a Win98 (Memphis, not SE), Whit ADSL, PPPoE (WinPoET V4.0), my ISP change the IP every 12 hours. After 2 hours the download fails, i need to do a manual reconect. Theres a way to auto reconect for this case?
Alexander 03/29/2006 07:01 am
> I have Mass Downloader 2.6 SP1 on a Win98 (Memphis, not SE), Whit ADSL, PPPoE (WinPoET
> V4.0), my ISP change the IP every 12 hours. After 2 hours the download fails, i need to do a
> manual reconect. Theres a way to auto reconect for this case?

Does your ISP break the connection?

Thanks,
Alexander