Possible conflict with created desktop toolbars in Windows XP

Claudia 04/01/2004 06:52 am
I think there is a conflict with Desktool and Windows XP. Before I installed Desktool on my new computer I created a toolbar by right clicking the task bar and going to toolbars and creating toolbar.

After I instlalled Desktool I wanted to get rid of the desktop toolbar I created in Windows but I couldn`t delete it even though I deleted the file. Every time I reboot the toolbar appears even though it is blank. I just want to use Desktool. Are there any known issues with Windows XP?

What should I do? I don`t want to lose all my icons and shortcuts I put in the toolbar. Is there a way I can back them all up and then restore it if I do uninstall and reinstall Desktool? What files would I need to backup and restore?

What do you recommend?

Best Regards,
Claudia

Sergey Kovrizhkin 04/12/2004 11:45 am
> I think there is a conflict with Desktool and Windows XP. Before I installed Desktool on my new computer I created a toolbar by right clicking the task bar and going to toolbars and creating toolbar.
>
> After I instlalled Desktool I wanted to get rid of the desktop toolbar I created in Windows but I couldn`t delete it even though I deleted the file. Every time I reboot the toolbar appears even though it is blank. I just want to use Desktool. Are there any known issues with Windows XP?
>
> What should I do? I don`t want to lose all my icons and shortcuts I put in the toolbar. Is there a way I can back them all up and then restore it if I do uninstall and reinstall Desktool? What files would I need to backup and restore?
>
> What do you recommend?
>
> Best Regards,
> Claudia
>

Hello Claudia

DeskTool is registered in system as appbar, but I think this is nt the reason of your problem.

First, (if I`m not mistaken) toolbars capable to be displayed in the system appbar, may be conditionally divide into two types (system-defined and user-defined). Toolbar created by user associates with a folder (not with a file). The contents of this folder are items of toolbar. The toolbar can exist and can be displayed even if a corresponding folder is empty.
To switch off user-defined toolbarm please go to contextual menu on system appbar in "Toolbars" list, uncheck a selector with corresponding toolbarb name. Thus if you uncheck a selector with user-defined toolbar, it removes from "Toolbars" list (as against system-defined) and hides from system appbar.
Secondly, it is enough to carry out backup of a desktool.cfg file (by default it "c:\Program
Files\DeskTool\"), to save structure of DeskTool elements. Restore of the previous state can be carried out by usual replacement of the file. (naturally, when DeskTool is not running).
The Part of DeskTool settings are stored in the registry.

Best regards,
Sergey Kovrizhkin
MP Staff