Folder shortcuts?

Stephanie 03/29/2006 07:02 am
I read the thread about submenus and your response that it would be in the next version. Would the new submenu feature include being able to explore folders with cascading menus (similar to the way trayicon explorer works)? How about giving users the option to put some text next to the icon?
Sergey 03/29/2006 07:02 am
Hello Stephanie.

Thank you for your suggestions.

> I read the thread about submenus and your response that it would be in the next version. Would the new submenu feature include being able to explore folders with cascading menus (similar to the way trayicon explorer works)?

You can create the submenus using the 2.9 version.
Also, the new version of DeskTool will be released soon.
It will allow you to add the folders to the program toolbar, like TrayIcon does this for the system tray now.

> How about giving users the option to put some text next to the icon?

Do you mean the text using in the buttons?

Best regards, Sergey

| Sergey V. Kovrizhkin
| Associate Developer
| MetaProducts Corporation
Stephanie 03/29/2006 07:02 am
I have a few folder shortcuts and I can`t tell one folder shortcut from another (you can only use a few different icons before it starts getting confusing.) Also, the tooltips don`t work with folder shortcuts. To better distinguish the shortcuts, it would help to allow users to put a couple characters next to the buttons. Like this: [icon here] expense report. Better yet, why not have several options: 1)icons only, 2) icons & text, 3) text only.

Flat toolbar buttons would also be nice, but that`s minor.

By the way, I am a big fan of your software. Thanks for generating such useful programs.

Stephanie

> Hello Stephanie.
>
> Thank you for your suggestions.
>
> > I read the thread about submenus and your response that it would be in the next version. Would the new submenu feature include being able to explore folders with cascading menus (similar to the way trayicon explorer works)?
>
> You can create the submenus using the 2.9 version.
> Also, the new version of DeskTool will be released soon.
> It will allow you to add the folders to the program toolbar, like TrayIcon does this for the system tray now.
>
> > How about giving users the option to put some text next to the icon?
>
> Do you mean the text using in the buttons?
>
> Best regards, Sergey
>
> | Sergey V. Kovrizhkin
> | Associate Developer
> | MetaProducts Corporation
>
> I have a few folder shortcuts and I can`t tell one folder shortcut from another (you can only use a few different icons before it starts getting confusing.)

Yes, it is possible to add folders in existing versions of DeskTool. But for this purpose it is necessary to specify manually the title and a path to a folder in "Insert Application Button..." dialogue. But the folder cannot open as the dropdown menu yet. It will be changed in the next version.
You can change the icon in "Button Properties... (or Edit...)- Select Icon" dialogue. Please choose any library of resources or the executed file containing icons in a "Source" field. In the future I plan to enlarge resources library of DeskTool.

>Also, the tooltips don`t work with folder shortcuts.

Tooltips should work for all buttons located on toolbar, irrespective of the object`s appointment (folder, menu or application). The exceptions are the elements of the dropdown menu. The title of the button is displayed as the tooltip. It is possible to turn on or off tooltips in "Properties...-
Features-Enable ToolTips" dialogue. It`s also possible to adjust speed of appearance of the tooltip here.

Could you please let me know if tooltip do not work only for folders.

>To better distinguish the shortcuts, it would help to allow users to put a couple characters next to the buttons. Like this: [icon here] expense report. Better yet, why not have several options: 1)icons only, 2) icons & text, 3) text only.

I have understood you and will try to realize it in one of the next versions.

> Flat toolbar buttons would also be nice, but that`s minor.
> By the way, I am a big fan of your software. Thanks for generating such useful programs.

At the moment I try to improve the interface of DeskTool.
Thank you for your suggestions and your invaluable help.

Best regards, Sergey
03/29/2006 07:02 am
> Could you please let me know if tooltip do not work only for folders.

I just found out that the tooltips do work for folders, however when you drag and drop a folder to desktool, it doesn`t take the name of the folder as a default name for the tooltip. To get a tooltip, you need to bring up button properties and manually type it.

> > I have a few folder shortcuts and I can`t tell one folder shortcut from another (you can only use a few different icons before it starts getting confusing.)
>
> Yes, it is possible to add folders in existing versions of DeskTool. But for this purpose it is necessary to specify manually the title and a path to a folder in "Insert Application Button..." dialogue. But the folder cannot open as the dropdown menu yet. It will be changed in the next version.
> You can change the icon in "Button Properties... (or Edit...)- Select Icon" dialogue. Please choose any library of resources or the executed file containing icons in a "Source" field. In the future I plan to enlarge resources library of DeskTool.
>
> >Also, the tooltips don`t work with folder shortcuts.
>
> Tooltips should work for all buttons located on toolbar, irrespective of the object`s appointment (folder, menu or application). The exceptions are the elements of the dropdown menu. The title of the button is displayed as the tooltip. It is possible to turn on or off tooltips in "Properties...-
> Features-Enable ToolTips" dialogue. It`s also possible to adjust speed of appearance of the tooltip here.
>
> Could you please let me know if tooltip do not work only for folders.
>
> >To better distinguish the shortcuts, it would help to allow users to put a couple characters next to the buttons. Like this: [icon here] expense report. Better yet, why not have several options: 1)icons only, 2) icons & text, 3) text only.
>
> I have understood you and will try to realize it in one of the next versions.
>
> > Flat toolbar buttons would also be nice, but that`s minor.
> > By the way, I am a big fan of your software. Thanks for generating such useful programs.
>
> At the moment I try to improve the interface of DeskTool.
> Thank you for your suggestions and your invaluable help.
>
> Best regards, Sergey
>
> > Could you please let me know if tooltip do not work only for folders.
>
> I just found out that the tooltips do work for folders, however when you drag and drop a folder to desktool, it doesn`t take the name of the folder as a default name for the tooltip. To get a tooltip, you need to bring up button properties and manually type it.

I will try to correct it in one of the next versions.
Thank you for your help. I wait for your new suggestions.

Best regards, Sergey